It’s short and sweet, needing less than 30 minutes preparation time, 15 minutes cooking time and serves 4. The best part is-you only need a few ingredients from your pantry!
Christmas has come and gone. So has the new year, along with the festive season that was filled with eating all sorts of dishes from all sorts of places with friends and family.
We are now back to tight budgets. It is the month where we sit down and wonder if we really must eat three meals a day. Maybe one really is enough, right? Wrong. With just a little more effort, you do not have to suffer at all.
There are simple, tasty low budget meals that you can prepare. Get better acquainted with the kitchen with this delicious coconut beans and rice. A break from all the meat you consumed over the past month is surely welcome, no? Not to mention, you won’t have to spend that much!
- 2 cups of boiled red beans
- 2 Cups of coconut milk
- ¼-teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of Royco
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1-teaspoon curry powder
- Rinsun sunflower oil
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- A pinch of salt
- 4 cups of water
- In your sufuria, pour Rinsun sunflower oil and add your chopped onions and garlic.
- Once your onions and garlic have turned to a golden brown color, add the tomatoes and let them cook.
- Add curry powder, Royco, cinnamon and salt and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the beans and cook for 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk then stir, cover and cook until it is tender. Remember to keep on stirring.
- Let the mixture seamer for 2 minutes then let it cool-off on the side.
For the rice
- Add water, butter and salt to the washed rice in the sufuria
- Let it cook on moderate heat.
- Once the rice is drying up, reduce the heat and let it cook slowly till it dries completely.
This meal can be eaten by up to 4 people. Enjoy!